We all look forward to weekends with a passion – whether we live in Dubai or anywhere else in the world. In this pleasant February weather, it is hard to stay put at home (people who have experienced the wrath of Dubai summer will understand this very well), and we are constantly looking for new places to go camping, hiking or simply enjoying an outdoor barbecue with our families. This weekend head over to Jebel Jais – the tallest mountain in the UAE. Jebel Jais is a melting pot of sorts, where groups of families, friends and adventure seekers alike make camp for memorable times together. Take a sneak peek!
What to look forward to:
- A scenic drive flanked by rocky mountains and valleys on both sides
- A perfect destination for a barbecue, or a camping trip with the family or friends
- Night sky filled with stars [a car with sun-roof is highly recommended]
- A breath-taking view of endless mountains from the top
- Pleasant climate
What to keep in mind:
- While traveling by a 4 wheel drive is preferable, but a normal sedan or hatchback will do just fine
- The lack of regular signboards makes the use of GPS navigation imperative
- Driving at a slower pace is advisable, as the road uphill and downhill is full of unexpected hairpin bends
- There are no proper toilets once you reach Jebel Jais, so it is advised to do the needful at the closest public restroom before commencing the climb
- The road to Jebel Jais is devoid of any street lighting. So if you intend to climb or descend after sunset, ensure that your high beam lights are working fine
- While you do find some vendors selling chips and instant noodles at the Jebel Jais mountain top, it is preferable to carry your own food and beverages
- Also, don’t forget to don your hiking shoes and take along a good camera and selfie stick!
Hiking and mountain-climbing not your thing? How about a dose of history this weekend at the Dubai Heritage Village, a cheat day at Brownie Blues or a luxury lounging experience at 360 degrees? Make your pick after reading the Slice of Dubai reviews! So, where are you headed?